Lawrence Stone, Master Sommelier
Rubicon and Sirita
Larry Stone is the first American to win the title of 'International Best Sommelier in French Wines and Spirits' at a competition held in Paris and sponsored by 'Foods and Wines from France'. Mr. Stone is also the only American to have earned the title of French 'Master Sommelier' from the 'Union de la Sommelerie Francaise' and is an English-certified Master Sommelier as well. In September of 2000, 'Santé Magazine' chose Larry Stone as the 'Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional of the Year'.
In June of 2000, Mr. Stone was bestowed with the honor of being the 'Best Sommelier in the Bay Area' by 'Food and Wine' Magazine. In the same month, 'Restaurant Hospitality' regaled Rubicon with the 'Grand Award for Best International Wine List in the United States'. In May 2000, Mr. Stone received the 'James Beard Foundation Distinguished Wine Service Award' for his work at Rubicon and was elected to the 'Beard Foundation's Who's Who Directory of Food and Beverage in America', the first active sommelier so honored.
'The Wine Spectator' has awarded two lists created by Larry Stone with their highest accolade, 'The Grand Award', one for "Charlie Trotter's" and the other for 'Rubicon'. In July of 2002, 'Rubicon' was featured as one of the top wine destination restaurants in the Bay Area by the 'Wine Spectator'. That same year, for the first time ever, the 'National Restaurant Association' gave 'Rubicon' the 'Grand Award for Best Wine List in America, Fine Dining Category' (3/02).
Larry has managed yet another 'Grand Award' winning list at the Ritz Carlton Chicago. Two other restaurants whose lists he has managed also attained to the Best Award of Excellence: The Red Cabbage and the Four Seasons Olympic Georgian Room, both in Seattle. In 2001, 'Ana Mandara', a Vietnamese Restaurant in San Francisco for which he consults, received the Award of Excellence. Always willing to rise to a challenge, Larry has worked on the opening wine list for 'Roxanne's', a raw vegan restaurant in Larkspur, California that is receiving critical acclaim for its daringly innovative cuisine. In February of 2003, 'Earth and Ocean' in Seattle, where he has consulted since its opening, received two awards from the 'Washington State Winegrowers Association', one for the 'Most Innovative Wine List' and the other for 'Best Northwest Wine List'.
Larry has also been named to the Board of Directors of the 'Coppola Companies', which include 'Niebaum-Coppola Estate' and 'American Zoetrope Studio', and is on the Board of Directors for the 'Kronos Quartet'.
Larry Stone is now actively making 'Napa Valley Cabernet', 'Cabernet Franc' and 'Merlot' under the name of 'Sirita', inspired by his daughter. Sirita's first vintages have been found in such restaurants as Charlie Trotter's, Gramercy Tavern, Nobu, Alain Ducasse's Spoons in Paris and London, Patina and Spago in Los Angeles, Postrio, Gary Danko and the Fifth Floor in San Francisco. It is represented in Austria and Germany by 'Alois Kracher', and in Japan by California 'Wine Trading'. You may also reach Larry Stone directly at Larry.Stone@Sirita.com.
List Of Awards And Honors
- VIA Magazine (AAA of California, Nevada and Idaho) 8-page feature about activities as sommelier and winemaker. (10/03)
- Bon Appetit Magazine, 10th Anniversary Feature on top sommeliers. Leading Sommelier in article. 9/03
- Sante Magazine Award for Best Wine List--Fine Dining Category 9/03
- Earth and Ocean "W" Seattle, Best Northwest Wine List and Most Innovative Wine List Washington Winegrws Assoc.2/03
- Wine Spectator feature on Bay Area Food and Wine, July 2002 Among top 4 wine destination restaurants.
- National Restaurant Association's Grand Award for Best Wine List in America, Fine Dining 3/02 First time ever given.
- James Beard Foundation "Outstanding Wine and Spirit Professional" Award Nomination 3/02 and 3/03
- Restaurant Hospitality Magazine Grand Prize Winner in Best Wine Lists in America Competition, International Category 3/02
- Named to Board of Directors Kronos Quartet 2/02
- Named to Board of Directors of Coppola Companies, which include Niebaum-Coppola Estate and American Zoetrope Studio. 11/24/2001
- 25th NY Wine Experience, lecture on Food and Wine Matching with Charlie Trotter and Thomas Matthews
- Food and Wine Magazine Web Cast and Feature in October Issue 2001
- Santé Award for Fine Dining with Wine/West Coast for Rubicon 9/2001
- Food and Wine Magazine Feature "It's 4 A.M. Do you know where your sommelier is? 7/01
- Rubicon Grand Award, Wine Spectator Magazine 7/2001
- Decanter Magazine's Choice for Wine Dining in the Bay Area 7/2001
- Ana Mandara Award of Excellence, Wine Spectator Magazine 7/2001
- Santé Magazines Wine and Spirits Professional of the Year Award, 9/2000
- Restaurant Hospitality Grand Award for Best International Wine List in America 6/2000
- Food and Wine Magazine Award for Best Overall Wine List, San Francisco, 5/2001
- Food and Wine Magazine Award for Best Sommelier, San Francisco, 5/2000
- Food and Wine Magazine Award for 10 Best New Restaurant Wine Lists, Earth and Ocean, Seattle 5/2000
- Entered into James Beard Foundation's Who's Who, and winner Outstanding Wine Service 5/5/2000
- Wine and Spirits Feature on Madeira Wines at Rubicon 4/2000
- Playboy Magazine Japanese Edition Interview on Wine in the Next Millenium 2/2000
Click here to Return to 'The Day'
||15th - 21st April